A5332: Randomized Trial to Prevent Vascular Events in HIV (REPRIEVE)
Anna Wimpelberg (Washington)
Ilene Wiggins, RN (Baltimore)
Nishi Suryavanshi (India)
REPRIEVE (A5332) is a large double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled study of pitavastatin or placebo for about 72 months. The trial is testing the effect of statin therapy on preventing heart disease and death in HIV-infected persons on HIV medications who do not meet guidelines for starting statins.
- HIV infected men and women between the ages of 40 and 75
- On HIV medications for at least 6 months
- CD4 cell count greater than 100
- No history of cardiovascular disease, such as heart attack, stroke, etc.
- No history of cancer in the last 3 years
- Not currently using a statin drug